Saturday, April 22, 2006

Deer in the Headlights...

*~Asalamu' Alaykum~*

So, it took me about a lil over a week to blog this, mmm, awkward moment. Maybe cuz i'm embarrassed to admit it...but..anyways...

Early last week, I got an evite from these two girls i'd met only once at some Muslim social event. The evite was for an "urdu" party, a party where supposedly everyone is only allowed to converse in urdu and eat desi food (already sounded kinda gay...) But, i'm a good sport, and I didn't really know anyone on the list, but i'm up for meeting new people, especially since i'm new.

The night of the party, one of my friends and I headed down to Angon, an Indian/Bangali restaurant in the East Village where the party was being held. The restaurant was this classy ( yea i know, sounds like an oxymoron) desi restaurant that didn't have a very desi-like look to it. It was pretty small, with dark lighting, candles, a red and gold color scheme, and all together, a very romantic atmosphere { its already getting scary lol} I, off the bat, categorized it as the type that only the wannabe desi's go to. {lol} But whatever, as long as the food was good!

After giving our names, the maitre d' pointed us in the direction of the party. Lets just say that the guests were an "interesting" bunch for lack of a better term. There were about 30 guys and girls, all seated around a long table. My friend and I introduced ourselves to the hostesses, who are best friends, and took a seat at this more private table for two next to the long table. After about 2 minutes the hostesses came up to us and asked if we minded getting introduced to everyone. I was game. After introductions I asked the two hostesses how they knew everyone. They casually said, "We don't. They're all off of naseeb. Only a couple of our friends are here, but otherwise yea."

Whaaa!!!???!!! Lets just say that I was shocked beyond words, and thats quite a feat for me! lol. Madiha out of words? Never! Well it happened, folks. If i went to a naseeb event without knowledge of it being one, does that constitute really going to a Naseeb event?? There was false advertisement! The evite never said a thing! hahaha...Well anyways, after that shock died down, mostly because I got some good food... I was able to calm down. lol

So, now you want to know what a naseeb "meeting" event is like? Well...*rubs hands together* There's mostly whack people for sure, but some normal people with jobs or a future. The crowd ranged from playboys, to hoochies, to hijabi's, fobs, fobbettes (a girl fob?), etc... In the end, my friend and I couldn't just leave, but we ended up hanging out together and even ran into a friend who'd been dragged there with her other friend. Really though, I didn't make friends with anyone else. I'm not being a snob or anything, its just hard to see eye to eye with some people like that. Oh, one guy did approach us! A freakn desi carbon copy of Chris Kattan from A Night At The Roxbury! No seriously, all he could talk about was trans music and dancing...a 26 year old too! ::rolling eyes:: Ahh well..another thing to learn from. At least they had good chai! And being a desi, I love my chai! yum, LOL :P

wasalaam :)


Stuff to know...

*** East Village:
http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=438 ***
*** Chris Kattan (left):
http://www.kinoweb.de/film99/NightAtTheRoxbury/pix/rox2.jpg ***

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

learn any dance moves

April 23, 2006 1:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay for chris kattan!! :) that was one crazy night...so excited to be a part your blog world!!

April 23, 2006 8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you mean the restaurant Angon?
(Angola is an African country lol.)
I know the dude who owns the restaurant.

April 23, 2006 8:18 PM  
Blogger MnM310 said...

#1mnm: haha noooo.

Ahy: :D

Zahera: I luv u too! And, i'm not super embarassed. lol

Jumaina: Of course ur a part of my blog world! hehe..it was fun tho cuz u were the perfect date ;) hehe.

Moumita: You're right! Angon! hehe I'll change it asap. thanks.

April 24, 2006 9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey what if those girls (the hostesses) happen to stumble upon your blog? now THAT would be funny. seriously though, an "Urdu" party? That one's too easy...the jokes are just overflowing.

April 24, 2006 10:20 AM  
Blogger Veiled Knight said...

Hopefully by then shell have a few more adventures to write about...:-D lol dont take down the storry madiha tis classic :-p
wasalam

April 24, 2006 12:54 PM  
Blogger Asmaa said...

Hahaha, thanks for the post. It made me laugh. (My philosophy: food was god, belly is happy, therefore I am happy!!)

Ahem.

April 24, 2006 7:34 PM  
Blogger MnM310 said...

sambam: they won't lol...(knock on wood :P)

Veiled Knight: hell no i aint taking it down. Hey, if they see it i dont care..i stand by wut i write!

asmaa: i'm glad it made u laugh :P and...good policy! haha

April 24, 2006 10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home