Sunday, February 26, 2006

**It Was Almost Too Perfect**

So, today, well now its considered yesterday, I got to participate in something kinda exciting. A group of Muslim lawyers got together to draft by-laws to an organization they hope to introduce to the New York Bar Association and eventually {inshaAllah} the American Bar Association, and I got to be a part of it! Although we didn't set up a name yet, the sort of impromptu name for now is Muslim- Attorney's of metro-New York (MANY). The group wants to work closely with Muslims and Muslim law students in the NYC area. It was really awesome to see Muslim-Americans @ such accomplished positions, and I kinda felt outta place sometimes. I mean, as a 1L (i.e. first year), what do I know about drafting contracts or things like staggered terms??? But, they were totally cool and made me feel welcome. Pretty soon I was on a role, talking a mile a minute, as I usually am...no urgings neccessary! :P

****

Still....although this was great and all...I was VERY disappointed at one level. I had figured that this was supposed to be a Muslim-Attorney, ephasis on the Muslim identity, Organization? And yet, when Asr rolled around, no one reminded the others of prayer and no one, other than me {alhumdulillah}, prayed. Then, when Maghrib rolled around (yea we were there that long), I again went to go pray in the back room, but, alhumdulillah, this time one brother joined me. Still, I was upset because aren't these people, who were without a doubt older than my 21 years, supposed to set an example for the rest of the Muslims attorneys and Law students? As an organization for Muslims by Muslims its necessary for the leaders to show that Yes, one can be a Muslim and an American (or wutever) and a Professional all at the same time! And that there's no shame in it!


****

To me it was more of a disappointment because if you look to the MSA's and other student run organizations, you can see the love they have for the religion. At so many MSA events, whether they're at a park or at the school gym, students make an effort to pray salat. The group of lawyer's today, not only were a lot more mature, but were in a private office, surrounded by fellow brother's and sister's, where no one could say that they felt embarrassed or shy about praying salat in a public setting. SubhanAllah, I know that they have the best of intentions in their goals and aspirations, but I pray that Allah {swt} increase their imaan.


wasalaam :)

btw i've been meaning to tell u guys bout this really tyte research assistant position i have! lets say it involves Islamic Law! L8r tho..me sleepy now :P

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah that is really disheartening sometimes, but you didn't let it get to you and you prayed even on your own, MashaAllah. Mabye the best role models of American Muslim Professionals are yet to come... and you will be among them, enjoining those younger than you. I guess you are my role model :D

February 26, 2006 2:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool what job is it :o

and hey, am sorry :)

February 26, 2006 12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey homegirl :p haha now i know what u meant by that :D

February 26, 2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger MnM310 said...

anonymous:
Disheartening is a good description...but, alhumdulillah, i have faith in Allah {swt}.
And thanx so much, altho i don't really see myself as much of a role model yet, i still have to work on that. :/

UmarKhatab: walaikumasalaam brother....I'm glad u see it that way :)
On the other note, your persistance and determination will IA get ppl to appreciate you. Don't try to stress yourself out so much tho, b/c Allah {swt} knows your intentions. I'm sure its frustrating, but you don't want to alienate ppl and have brother's feel uncomfortable or uptight around you. I'm sure you won't do that intentionally, but it could happen since ppl easily misconstrue things all the time. As long as you set a good example, ppl will follow, inshaAllah. :)

Brotherhood:
The job's as a research assistant for Sadiq Reza (google em if u want) :) I'll go into detail on some of the stuff i'm wrking on for him later! too much to write in a lil box.
sorry for?
Homegirl {gonna turn ya into an LA gangsta soon!} LOL! :P

wasalaam all! Thanx for ur great comments!!!!! :)

February 27, 2006 1:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure it's disheartening to you, but you have to keep in mind that just because someone is Muslim doesn't necessarily mean they adhere to all tenets, or even believe in Islam the same way might. I'm sure my comment will get negative reactions, but this is the way the world is. I shouldn't have to feel pressured to pray just because I'm at a Muslim event--but this goes to the core of how I believe in my religion, whether people think it's wrong or right.

As long as you have your own beliefs, that's all you need.

February 28, 2006 10:47 AM  
Blogger MnM310 said...

Moumita: Hey Mo I don't think ur comments are off, b/c the truth of the world is as u put it: many ppl aren't as observant. H/r since it is a Muslim gathering, then they should @ least provide for those who may want to pray. Maybe have a break scheduled in for the prayers...which wasn't a part of the Agenda on Sat. That way, they are @ least keeping the fact that this is an event promulgating Islam in mind...

wasalaam...xoxo :P

February 28, 2006 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea, that is actually kind of strange they wouldn't provide for prayer space and stuff like that.

I guess maybe it's more like that NYC Muslim gathering thing: it might be more for people who happen to be Muslim, but not observant, and is less of an event designed to promulgate Islam than it is to work for the Muslim community at large....

I don't know, was it supposed to be a religious event?

February 28, 2006 11:45 AM  
Blogger MnM310 said...

Moumita: well MO i wouldn't really compare it to that NYC Muslim- Social Events thing cuz for one thing it always takes place after all the prayers are over...but if it took place during the prayer hours, then i'd complain bout that too ya know? Also, wuts the point of having a bar association for Muslims by Muslims if they're not gonna provide fellow brothers & sisters a chance to follow religion & have a career? Y shouldnt i then go to some bar association that provides for minorities? What makes this one so different from the others? Shouldn't i just go to a well-established one then, instead of building a fledgling one?

ws :)

March 01, 2006 1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mean, when you look at most law school organizations: Asian Law Students, Black Law Students, Italian American Law Students, and even Jewish Law Students...the common thread is a cultural identity. They don't necessarily promulgate or espouse a certain type of lifestyle, which is what I think you're looking for--a community that practices and shares with you those your beliefs.

I don't think that the people who founded Muslim Lawyers of NY intended to "provide" people a chance to practice their religion. It sounds to me that the whole basis of the group is to provide a forum for those who happen to be Muslim, practicing or non, who want to work with issues affecting the Muslim community.

If you really want to be part of an organization that actually adheres and facilitates the practice of Islam, I would suggest to either join or start an MSA of NYLS. Then that way the intention and purpose of such a group would be more to your liking: Muslim lawyers and students who live an Islamic lifestyle but practice law.

But also, I'm confused about your comment with the NYC Muslim event occuring after prayer hours, and how you would object if the means for prayer were not provided, or if people did not get up to pray. The thing to me that is confusing is that the people who went to this event went to socialize. The first event that I went to, which I didn't want to attend, as you recall, b/c I didn't want to place myself in an Islamic environment especially when I don't believe in Islam the way the majority of practicing Muslims (supposedly) do, people were drinking, plus the event was in a bar/lounge.

I didn't get the feeling that it was a Muslim event in the sense where the organizers, or majority of attendees, were adherents of Islam in a narrow sense.

Would you still object to people not praying if another event takes place, assuming it doesn't take place in a pub/lounge, but also knowing that the people who in attendance are not practicing Muslims?

I am curious.

March 01, 2006 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

<---- Regarding my comment, I guess you wouldn't, in the first place, agree with people not praying or drinking anyway.

March 01, 2006 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home